Friday, December 12, 2014

Kajder chapter 3

        I like the way that Kajder speaks of the need for teacher to "constantly be learning" in order to keep up to date with the new technologies and literacies that our student are using. Also, the need to "let go" of some of the "old school"ideology and embrace the new technologies of our "tech-obsessed" youth is extremely beneficial. Recognizing the use of social media in the everyday life of our students is also helpful. If we understand where they are going and coming from we can help monitor and assist them in a media that they, themselves, understand. As the article states, "literacy extends to new media" and the sooner we jump on board the better it will be for our students. Finding a way to motivate them is essentially the goal and if utilizing new literacies is the way to do that then I see no problem with it.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job, Tracy. I wonder what are some of the "new media" you are beginning to think about including in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in learning more about Quizlet. I've heard my son talk about it a lot so in some way, shape, or form it must be working for him. LOL I'm also really interested in learning how to use a "smartboard" and the different ways it could be useful in including students in on the teaching/learning process. A kind of "giving them the righns" sort of idea.....of course, this is just me thinking "out-loud" and I'd really have to sit down to figure out the details but I think it would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete